WHO: Habitat for Humanity of the Mississippi Gulf Coast
WHAT: Open House
WHEN: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:00 a. m. to 12:00 p. m.
WHERE: 353 Park Drive, Biloxi, MS 39531
PARTICIPANTS: Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney is scheduled to attend.
VISUALS: Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney will be available for photos and interviews.
Interview opportunities with HFHMGC leadership.
BACKGROUND: 353 Park Drive is a 3 bedroom / 2 bath property located on a spacious lot in an established community in the West Biloxi area. The home is 1,238 square feet with a covered double carport.
The home has been constructed to be Gold “FORTIFIED” certified. The FORTIFIED program was designed by the Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) & is a voluntary construction standard that offers enhanced protection against natural disasters. Certified FORTIFIED homes are eligible for 25-30% discounts on homeowner’s insurance.
Construction elements of the FORTIFIED process include:
- lateral bracing
- reinforced roofing with engineered gable end connections,
- sealed roof deck with enhanced nail patterns
- roof vents tested to Miami – Dade standards
- enhanced wind pressure standards for windows & doors
- All plans reviewed and stamped by a licensed engineer to verify the home meets local wind code and has a continuous load path
In addition, this home has been awarded a Silver level rating from Mississippi Power’s EarthCents program for high energy efficiency by utilizing:
- 15 SEER electric heat pump,
- R-30 rigid panel walls insulation
- foam encapsulated attic insulation
- U-value windows,
- energy efficient water heater
- all ENERGY STAR appliances
The construction project began in January 2015 and was completed in August 2015. Volunteers provided much of the labor with groups from the Beau Rivage participating under the supervision of HFHMGC’s construction supervisors.
Since 2005, HFHMGC has built 328 new homes as well as rehabilitated and repaired 568 homes. Over 25,250 volunteers have worked 485,301 hours on HFHMGC projects. HFHMGC provides free financial education training and coaching. Since 2010, 1,591 individuals have attended classes &/or coaching for over 5,400 education hours delivered through 861 activities (classes and one-on-one sessions).
MEDIA CONTACT: Adele Lyons, Habitat for Humanity of the Mississippi Gulf Coast,
(228) 678-9122 office / (228) 313-3841 cell, firstname.lastname@example.org